Now that Diwali is over, winter has started setting in. It is getting cooler at nights and our skin is getting drier by the minute. Plus all the good cosmetics and the skin essentials keep getting costlier by the day. But, with a heavy heart we have to buy all those skin essentials to avoid our skin from drying up and getting wrinkled. What if we told you there is a better way to keep your skin and hair in check and it requires only a little effort on your part? So, today we decided to share our knowledge about skin remedies for winters.
Olive oil has anti-ageing properties and vitamin E present in Olive oil. It improves skin health by treating inflammation, acne, and protecting the skin from serious ailments like psoriasis and skin cancer. Here are various remedies using olive oil:
- Dab a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil under your regular moisturiser.
- About half an hour before taking a shower, rub some olive oil on your hands, legs and other areas with dry skin and massage lightly. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturiser.
- Mix two tablespoons of olive oil, four tablespoons of fine brown sugar, and one tablespoon of honey. Rub this homemade scrub on your dry skin using light, circular motions for a few minutes. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturiser.
Raw milk is rich in B-vitamins, alpha hydroxy acids, calcium and other potent antioxidants which are very beneficial for your skin. It nourishes your skin cells from deep within and keeps skin moisturised all day. The lactic acid in the milk helps exfoliate dead skin and increase the skins ability to retain moisture.
- Soak a washcloth in cold milk and put the cloth on your dry skin for five to seven minutes. Gently wash off the milk with another cloth soaked in lukewarm water. This way this natural moisturiser will remain on your skin. Do this every other day.
- Add a few drops of rose water and four tablespoons of milk. Rub this solution all over your body. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash your body with cold water. Follow this remedy twice daily.
- Add enough milk cream to 3-4 tablespoons of gram flour to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your face, hands and legs. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
Honey is used in almost all of the beauty masks as it is the best natural moisturiser. It is loaded with antioxidants and antimicrobial properties and makes your skin smooth and soft.
- Before taking a bath or shower, rub honey all over your body and leave it on for 5 – 10 minutes. Repeat daily to enjoy well moisturised skin.
- Measure out equal parts of unprocessed honey, beeswax, and olive oil. Melt the beeswax in a small pan over low heat. Remove it from the heat and mix in the honey and then add the olive oil. Apply this mixture all over your body and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then take a shower. Repeat daily or every other day.
Yogurt contains lactic acid which dissolves dead skin cells. It not only helps in natural glow and prevents breakouts, but also works to diminish the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- Apply fresh yogurt on your hands, face and legs and gently massage it into your skin. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then take a bath or shower. The mild exfoliating action of yogurt will remove dry skin and leave your skin refreshed. Do this once daily.
- Mix one-half cup of yogurt and three tablespoons of mashed or blended papaya. Stir in a few drops of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this once a week.
Yes! Coconut oil contains fatty acid which makes up for any loss of moisture from the skin. This age old remedy which our grandmother used to tell us about all the time is very helpful.
- Apply warm coconut oil all over your body before going to sleep. Wash it off in the morning. Do this daily to make your skin soft and smooth.
- Apply coconut oil on your dry skin after you take a bath or shower. When the skin is warm and supple from your bath, coconut oil is more readily absorbed. Do this daily.
So now you know what to do this winter to keep your skin away from all the damage. Do let us know in the comment section which of these remedies you liked the best.